ACSS President Frank Ruffino swears in Elena Yuasa (Chapter 513 President, on left) and Dionne Faulk (Chapter 511 Secretary-Treasurer, middle) to their new positions as ACSS Chapter Officers.
On July 23, 2016, ACSS held a Board Meeting in Sacramento. The Board moved motions to appoint a select number of Chapter Officers in some ACSS Chapters where there were vacancies. The new officers present at the meeting were sworn into office.
- Vice President – Kimisha Hall
- Secretary-Treasurer – Joseph Abhulimen
- Chapter President – Angel Ramsey
- Vice President – Joseph Aiu
- Secretary Treasurer – Dionne Faulk*
- Chapter President – Elena Yuasa*
- Vice President – Alberto Covarrubias
*Sworn in at the Board Meeting.
In other business conducted at the meeting, the Political Action Committee (PAC) reviewed the results of the 2016 California Primary Election, held in June, and also recommended the Board approve additional candidates for endorsement. The Board approved the motion and ACSS now additionally endorses the following Legislative candidates:
- AD 04 – Cecelia Aguiar-Curry (D)
- AD 39 – Raul Bocanegra (D)
- AD 48 – Blanca Rubio (D)
- AD 66 – Al Muratsuchi (D)
- SD 03 – Bill Dodd (D)
- SD 07 – Steve Glazer (D)
- SD 09 – Nancy Skinner (D)
- SD 27 – Henry Stern (D)
The PAC Committee also presented information on a few propositions that will be appearing on the 2016 November ballot. Of these, ACSS discussed at length Prop 55 (The School Funding and Budget Stability Act of 2016). Prop 55 is a Prop 30 renewal that proposes to extend the tax increases for wealthy taxpayers and allocates those funds to public schools where school boards decide how the revenues are to be spent.
The next ACSS Board meeting is scheduled for September 30 – October 1, 2016.